Dec 8
">
Pennsylvania lost 41,000 jobs in February, a 13-year high

Saturday, March 21, 2009

Pennsylvania lost 41,000 jobs in February, the largest one-month span of job loss in the state in more than 13 years. According to media reports, about 1 in every 140 Pennsylvania jobs were lost in February, marking the worst drop-off in a single month since January 1996.

Since the recession began, Pennsylvanians have lost more than 100,000 jobs, leaving the state with less jobs than it had in July 2005, according to state figures.

“It’s clearly beginning to hit Pennsylvania in a way that it hasn’t so far,” Mark Price, labor economist with the Harrisburg-based Keystone Research Center, told the Associated Press. “Hopefully this is a blip, but we’re going to definitely continue to lose jobs, hopefully not at this pace.”

Governor Ed Rendell announced the numbers Thursday, the same day he called on Philadelphia-based oil refiner Sunoco to reverse its plans to cut 750 jobs, or about 20 percent of the salaried workforce.

Rendell said Sunoco should rescind the cuts because last year, the company made US$776 million in profit.

“In fact, although 2008 earnings were below expectations in the first two quarters, earnings in the last two quarters of 2008 were robust, to say the least,” he said, according to The Philadelphia Inquirer.

Sunoco officials said the move was a necessary response to a downturn in its oil-refining and chemical manufacturing businesses.

Dec 8
Romanian artists auction off their works for tsunami victims
">
Romanian artists auction off their works for tsunami victims

Thursday, January 20, 2005

Several prominent Romanian artists and celebrities will gather at the Radio Hall in Bucharest on Sunday, January 23, to raise money for the victims of the catastrophic Indian Ocean tsunami of December 26, 2004. In an event titled Romanian Artists in Support of Asia, organised by The Reporter Foundation of Romania, artists will auction off their works, as well as personal objects, with all proceeds being donated to the relief efforts for the tsunami victims.

Media celebrities such as the soprano Felicia Filip and singers Angela Similea and Dida Dragan will also be participating, as well as Maia Morgenstern, known internationally for her role in the film The Passion of the Christ. All ambassadors accredited in Bucharest, as well as political personalities, have been invited to participate.

Romanian Artists in Support of Asia is the second major public event organised in Romania to support the victims of the recent Indian Ocean disaster. On Sunday, January 16, the Romanian public raised the equivalent of 395,000 euro in a telethon, while the Romanian Government pledged 150,000 euro for the relief effort.

The artistic event is also part of a campaign by the Bucharest City Hall that seeks to relaunch the image of the Romanian capital as a creative and colourful metropolis. The city will be the first in southeastern Europe to host CowParade, the world’s largest public art event, between June and August this year.

Dec 8
New Jersey officials: Stimulus bill hurting Atlantic City casinos
">
New Jersey officials: Stimulus bill hurting Atlantic City casinos

Sunday, March 29, 2009

A New Jersey congressman says restrictions on federal stimulus money are hurting gaming destinations like Atlantic City, and he is seeking to repeal a provision banning the use of funds for casinos or other gaming establishments.

HAVE YOUR SAY
Is Ken Calemmo right to suggest that the gaming industry is as important as manufacturing, retail or finance?
Add or view comments

“The demonization of gaming destinations such as Las Vegas and Atlantic City for business travel is wrong, wrong, wrong,” U.S. Rep Frank LoBiondo said Friday during a press conference in front of Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City.

The $787 billion federal stimulus bill passed in February specifically prohibits casinos from applying for funds for infrastructure improvements and other similar projects. LoBiondo said Atlantic City is losing millions of dollars in business as a result of that provision.

Casinos’ revenues dropped 19.2 percent in February 2009 month compared to February 2008, according to the New Jersey Casino Control Commission. LoBiondo said $160 million worth of business and 120,000 visitors have chosen other cities for their tourism plans due to the stimulus bill, according to Atlantic City Convention Center figures.

The administration also recently determined other groups like nonprofit organizations and local governments may not spend their stimulus money at casino properties. State officials said the rules are damaging a major pillar of the New Jersey economy.

“Are those jobs somehow less important or less meaningful than those in the manufacturing, retail or financial industries?” said Ken Calemmo, chairman-elect of the Greater Atlantic City Chamber.

Anti-gambling officials said the stimulus law does not prohibit casinos from taking advantage of tax breaks, and Atlantic City officials should not complain about the stimulus bill because the city is too reliant on an unreliable revenue stream.

“There isn’t a state, including New Jersey or Nevada, that could gamble themselves rich, any more than an individual could gamble themselves rich,” said Tom Grey, field director for StopPredatoryGambling.org. “They should’ve diversified (the economy) instead of chasing their loss.”

But Joe Kelly, chamber president, said 35,000 people work at New Jersey casinos, and thousands more around the state work for outside vendors that depend on casinos for their business.

“It is not just an Atlantic County issue. It is not just a Cape May issue,” Kelly said. “There’s purchasing done by every county.”

LoBiondo is working to repeal the provision with U.S. Rep Shelly Berkley, co-chair of the Congressional Gaming Cascus, and has reached out to Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, who has a history of representing the interests of the gaming industry.

Dec 7
Benefits Of Private Jet Vacations

byAlma Abell

Vacation is quite possibly one of the most exciting words in the human language. After working so hard at either your job or in school day after day, planning a vacation is a great way to relieve stress. There are so many vacation options to choose from. You could hop in your car and go on a road trip, or you could hop on a cruise ship and explore the Caribbean, or you could go to one of the many theme parks for some fun and adventure. One vacation option many don’t think about are Private Jet Vacations. While private jets can be an expensive way to travel, you are able to see many parts of the world in as many days as you choose.

YouTube Preview Image

Why choose a private jet vacation? There are many benefits to traveling in style. Most agencies that offer Private Jet Vacations take a large air-plane (such as a regular commercial jet), strip out the inside, and then reconfigure it. This takes an air-plane that normally holds over 150 people to holding a total of 48. This provides comfort for any and all passengers. Another benefit is the ability to skip the long lines and flight delays typical of commercial airlines. With your private jet experience, you are able to walk right onto your air-plane and start your vacation!

Yet another benefit is the ability to have your own personal crew available to you and only you. They will cater to your every need during each and every stage of the flight. The food offered on a private jet is not your typical peanuts and pretzels! You are able to dine on full meals with wine, beer and other spirits. All private jet companies pride themselves in providing safe environments for all their passengers. They have rigorous safety checks to ensure that everyone on board can fly worry-free.

Finally, chartering a private jet allows you to see so much more of the world since you do not have to rely on the flight schedules of major commercial carriers. Most private jet tours are 20+ days, so you can see as much of our world as possible in a short amount of time. When you are unable to fly into a location, many tour companies also offer access to a private train.

Dec 7
Retired U.S. vets sue Donald Rumsfeld for excessive service cutbacks
">
Retired U.S. vets sue Donald Rumsfeld for excessive service cutbacks

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

One thousand residents of the Defense Department-managed Armed Forces Retirement Home in Washington, D.C. filed a class-action lawsuit on May 24, asserting that the cut-backs in medical and dental services imposed by Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld are illegal. The operating budget for the home was reduced from $63 million in 2004 to $58 million for 2005. The residents cite cuts in on-site X-ray, electrocardiogram, physical and dental services, and the closing of the home’s main clinic and an on-site pharmacy.

Chief Financial Officer Steve McManus responded that the changes not only save money but also achieved improved efficiencies. “We’re really trying to improve the benefits to our residents,” he said.

Most of the home’s costs are paid for by a trust fund and monthly fees paid by residents. By law, the Armed Forces Retirement Homes are required to fund, “on-site primary care, medical care and a continuum of long-term care services.”

Posted in     Uncategorized | No Comments »
Dec 7
Greek police arrest four for attacking Thessaloniki mayor Yiannis Boutaris
">
Greek police arrest four for attacking Thessaloniki mayor Yiannis Boutaris

Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Yesderday, Greek police charged four suspects for participating in mob violence against Thessaloniki’s city mayor Yiannis Boutaris. The 75-year-old mayor was attacked on Saturday at a commemoration of victims of the Pontic Genocide.

According to police, three suspects were male — aged from seventeen to twenty — of Greek nationality and the fourth suspect was a mid-30s Georgian of Greek origin. Boutaris was reportedly told by persons in the crowd to leave the annual commemoration for the victims killed in a massacre during World War I by Turks as well as during the Greek-Turkish war. The mob was then seen kicking the mayor and throwing stones and bottles. The mayor was taken off the scene by his asides. Boutaris was later hospitalised, reportedly sustaining head, leg, and back injuries.

Describing the mayor’s assailants as “far-right bullies”, Greek Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras said they would “have to face the consequences”. Both ruling party Syriza as well as main opposition party New Democracy condemned the attack. Syriza called the violence a “fascist attempt to target and intimidate” Boutaris. New Democracy said officials should arrest the attackers “immediately”.

Boutaris, who was reportedly at the hospital overnight, said in remarks to the Greek Reporter news organization, “It was a nightmare[…] There were several people that attacked me. They were hitting me everywhere.” The mayor called it a “despicable attack”.

Boutaris has favoured multiculturalism, supporting the construction of a mosque in Thessaloniki, and construction of monuments in honour of Turkish leaders. Boutaris had also supported policies that were LGBT+-friendly.

The three adults arrested — all but the seventeen-year-old — are to be tried on Wednesday.

Posted in     Uncategorized | No Comments »
Dec 6
Wikinews interviews Joe Schriner, Independent U.S. presidential candidate
">
Wikinews interviews Joe Schriner, Independent U.S. presidential candidate

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Journalist, counselor, painter, and US 2012 Presidential candidate Joe Schriner of Cleveland, Ohio took some time to discuss his campaign with Wikinews in an interview.

Schriner previously ran for president in 2000, 2004, and 2008, but failed to gain much traction in the races. He announced his candidacy for the 2012 race immediately following the 2008 election. Schriner refers to himself as the “Average Joe” candidate, and advocates a pro-life and pro-environmentalist platform. He has been the subject of numerous newspaper articles, and has published public policy papers exploring solutions to American issues.

Wikinews reporter William Saturn? talks with Schriner and discusses his campaign.

Posted in     Uncategorized | No Comments »
Dec 6
Occupation in London enters fifth day
">
Occupation in London enters fifth day

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

In solidarity with the Occupy Wall Street and other “Occupy” protests, activists set up camp outside St Paul’s Cathedral in London on Saturday, and they plan to remain indefinitely. The protest thus far has been described as “largely peaceful” by a police spokesman.

On Saturday, an estimated thousand or more people attempted to protest in Paternoster Square, the site of the London Stock Exchange, but were blocked by police enforcing a High Court judgment. Julian Assange from Wikileaks also joined the protest to address the activists. A flag flies over the occupation showing the ‘Anonymous’ logo of a headless man in a black suit.

At around 9:30am Wednesday, many campers were still asleep, but around 30–50 people were listening in solidarity to trade union representatives from the National Shop Stewards Network, while 20 to 30 officers from the City of London police watched on. On the steps of St. Paul’s Cathedral, the speakers spoke about a variety of struggles including strikes by electricians that started in August against Balfour Beatty, one of Britain’s largest construction firms. Solidarity was expressed with the travellers at Dale Farm, and speakers described how the media and others were trying to “divide” workers, students and elderly people. One of the speakers said that while today they are occupying the square in London, “tomorrow we will be occupying universities and colleges” and spoke of the suspension of Vik Chechi, the Unison branch secretary who has been suspended by Queen Mary University. By 9:45am, the trade union talks had finished and the sound system was reactivated and reggae music started playing.

After the talks peter out, activity begins to resume on the site: people sorting out tents and serving food, under signs and banners playfully mixing politics (“The London Stock Exchange: Britain’s Biggest Casino”) with Internet memes (a Reddit cartoon man depicted saying “Y U NO JOIN US?”).

Posted in     Uncategorized | No Comments »
Dec 5
Gunman killed outside Colorado governor’s office
">
Gunman killed outside Colorado governor’s office

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

A man identified as Aaron Richard Snyder showed up on Monday around 2:25 p.m. outside the Colorado Capitol offices of Governor Bill Ritter. He was carrying a 357-caliber 7 shot Smith and Wesson revolver with 20 extra rounds of ammunition and started screaming “I am the emperor” and “I am here to take over the state”.

When he was confronted by a Colorado State trooper, Snyder opened his jacket showing that he was carrying a gun. The trooper ordered Snyder to drop the gun, but instead he moved “menancingly” in the direction of the trooper who then shot him once in the head and twice in the chest.

Snyder died from the multiple gunshot wounds on the floor of the Capitol office building. The Capitol went on a full lockdown with employees, tour groups and visitors in the building at the time ordered to stay where they were.

Governor Ritter was interviewing a judge candidate in his office at the time of the shooting. He held a press conference on the Capitol step two hours later.

Mr. Snyder was under doctors care for delusional behavior. The Northglenn, Colorado police issued a BOL “Be On the Lookout” to all law enforcement agencies in Colorado for Snyder and his car, a 2004 black Kia, around 25 minutes before the shooting occurred.

Posted in     Uncategorized | No Comments »
Dec 5
Frank Lampard announces retirement from football
">
Frank Lampard announces retirement from football

Sunday, February 5, 2017

On Thursday, former English midfielder Frank Lampard announced retirement from football via Instagram, finishing a 21-year professional football career.

Lampard said, “After 21 incredible years, I have decided that now is the right time to finish my career as a professional footballer. […] at 38 I feel now is the time to begin the next chapter in my life.”

The 38-year-old midfielder made his debut in the mid-1990s and played for West Ham United and Swansea City before he joined London-based football club Chelsea F.C. in 2001 for £11million. Spending thirteen seasons with The Blues, Lampard scored 211 goals in all competitions for Chelsea, a club record, in nearly 650 appearances for the club. Lampard won three Premier League titles, four FA Cups, two Football League Cups, and one each of UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League.

Lampard spent one season with Manchester City F.C. before moving to Major League Soccer club New York City Football Club. Lampard played 29 matches with the New York club scoring fifteen goals. Lampard has scored goals against 39 different Premier League clubs.

Lampard won 106 international caps for England, scoring 29 goals and featuring in three FIFA World Cups — 2006, 2010 and 2014 — before retiring from the national team in 2014. He made his international debut in 1999 against Belgium.

Lampard said he is to study for coaching qualifications. Lampard wore a blue coloured jersey for most of his career.

Posted in     Uncategorized | No Comments »

« Previous Entries Next Entries »